20100708

weave free (temporarily)

For Black Women hair is such a complicated thing. And it really shouldn't be, we've just had years of bullshit lingering in our brains convincing us to do unnatural things to our hair. I've had my ups and downs with it over the years. I haven't had a relaxer in about five years but I rock my weave. Actually, I love my weave. However, I let my own hair breathe for a week and wore it natural. How freeing! How simple, funky, edgy, and classic! I'm attempting to break into, oh how should I put this...mainstream movie and tv projects so I went back to the weave. They match my current headshots. But I'm thinking of getting some pics taken while the hair is au natural so when I give it a break again (perhaps for longer), I can have a few different "looks". Here are some pics I took of me in my natural state (BF looooves the natural hair, by the way):








Now compare that with my headshots featuring la extensions (and a fair amount of makeup/ touching up, etc.)- big difference, right?



7 comments:

STOP IT RIGHT NOW said...

dont lie, you know you love a man in coochie cutters.

have you seen Good Hair? please tell me you have.

elizabeth said...

I LOVE it natural, I covet your beautiful curls.

InnyVinny said...

Ok, where did the coochie cutters come in at?

You look gorgeous either way. Oh, and I'm linking this, too.

Pennerad said...

uhh...coochie cutters?

you look fab in both, but quite different with the different hair. so weird how that works.

if the bf likes the short hair, i'm thinking many in your audience will like it too.

Rackk and Ruin said...

Your natural hair fits you so well! I would love hair that actually had body/personality. but i guess you always want what you don't have. The Chris Rock movie Good Hair is almost to the top of my queue and i'm really psyched to watch it. xx

Miss Toxic said...

it looks beautiful both ways. I am a natural weave wearer too. I just got 14 and 12in Indi Remi- WAYYYY too long. Never freakin again. I am very tenderheaded and it takes HOURS to do just about anything to my hair and brakes off like crazy. Do you relax the top part of your hair to blend in with the weave? I do sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Wowzers! Bill is a lucky man - and I'm sure he knows it.